had to happen

Wed Jun-1st-2011 // Filed under: Random Crap

Being without Facebook is, these days, pretty much the same thing as being without an e-mail account or a cell phone — you can do it, sure, but it’s gonna make life more complicated. Back in the day, when people started joining it, it was just another Sixdegrees or Friendster or whatever the hell. I declined.

It became a thing. I was not unaware of this, obviously. The focus of social interactions has slowly but surely shifted away from where I generally hang out. I find that the people I don’t interact every day — especially those of my friends who aren’t in Finland — just aren’t there… because I’m not where they are. But I’m a stubborn asshole, and I’ve held out. Still, for a good while now — a couple of years, at least — I’ve been saying, “I know I have to join it… but not today.”

Well.

Today.

1. Nooooooooo!

Comment by Eemeli — June 1, 2011 @ 1306945726

2. I haven’t missed Facebook at all and I deleted my account half a year ago. There’s IRC, there’s twitter and there’s always IRL. Somebody always tells me what’s happening so I don’t even miss the invitations.

Comment by Julius de Bruijn — June 1, 2011 @ 1306962967

3. Good for you, I guess. For me, it very much reached a point where not being on Facebook was becoming more of a headache than being on it. We’ll see if I can stick with it.

Comment by Mikki — June 2, 2011 @ 1306975055

4. I still find the idea of having to be a customer of one certain corporation in order to maintain social connections with people way too Dickian to stomach.

Comment by Dare — June 2, 2011 @ 1306996224

5. What a disappointment! First, I was like: “Cool, I’m not the only one who still struggles to stay independent of Facebook!”…

Well, as far as I know, Bettina Sågbom is still with me!

Comment by perttuk — June 2, 2011 @ 1307044669

6. I had no idea you expected so much of me, Perttu. I can only hope that you somehow find the strength to go on.

Comment by Mikki — June 2, 2011 @ 1307057215